This sun drenched bay with its golden sands, sparkling seas, rich marine harvest and prolific kiwi fruit was named by the famous explorer Captain Cook for ‘the many good things to be found here’.
Amongst the sport lover’s favourites in this bounteous region are many excellent golf courses. They provide a wide variety of landscape settings and offer a challenge for every golfer.
The 26 golf courses in this region are set out below together with a brief description of some of the notable ones.
Wairakei International, 6 kms north of Taupo, sets the qualitative standard for this area with 18 superb holes in a magnificent bushland setting with every possible hazard that nature and man can devise. This 6,414 metre, par 72 course was the first one designed with the tourist in mind and now boasts a first class clubhouse, pro-shop and driving range. The nearby Wairakei Resort offers accommodation/golf packages and has its own 9-hole course.
Rotorua is sited in an active geothermal site at Arikikapakapa directly opposite the famous Whakarewarewa thermal area. The course is relatively short at 5,822 metres and par 70, but the tightly-bunkered greens coupled with steam vents and natural hazards like bumps and hollows, create a sense of fun and adventure.
Lake View on State Highway 5 is a short but exacting course, 15 minutes drive from Rotorua. Precision placement is needed on the narrow fairways and the undulating course can feel longer than it really is. The lake views are magnificent.
Springfield is another rolling, tree-lined course on Rotorua’s Devon Street.
Tauranga Club at Gate Pa sets a high standard with its beautiful park-like fairways and immaculate greens. Bookings are recommended at this popular course.
Mt Maunganui course lies across the Tauranga Harbour bridge at ‘The Mount’ as locals know the famous beachside holiday resort. The course is well drained, the greens smooth and fast and it is always a delight to play.
Taupo has the distinction of having two 18-hole courses, Tauhara being slightly less testing than Centennial.
Whakatane at the eastern end of the Bay of Plenty is an excellent links course with broad, undulating fairways that give you the impression of vivid green parklands.
Bay of Plenty Region Golf Courses
- Golf Te Puke, 847 State Highway 2, Paengaroa
- Mt Maunganui, Fairway Avenue, Mt Maunganui
- Otumoetai, Bureta Road, Tauranga
- Rotorua, 399 Fenton Street, Rotorua
- Taupo, 32 Centennial Drive, Taupo
- Tauranga, Cameron Road (Racecourse), Tauranga
- Te Kaha, State Highway, 35 Te Kaha
- Wairakei International, State Highway 1, Taupo
- Hamurana, North end of Lake Rotorua
- Hinehopu, State Highway 30, Rotoiti, Rotorua
- Kaingaroa, Middle Road, Kaingaroa Forest
- Kawerau, Cobham Drive, Kawerau
- Kinloch, Kinloch Road, Kinloch
- Lake View, State Highway 5, Rotorua
- Murupara, Golf Road, Murupara
- Ngawaro, 2017 Pyes Pa Road, Tauranga
- Ohope International, Harbour Road, Ohope
- Omanu, 98 Matapihi Road, Mt Maunganui
- Opotiki, 4 Fromow Road, Opotiki
- Springfield, Devon Street West, Rotorua
- Te Teko, Tahuna Road, Te Teko
- Turangi, State Highway 1, Turangi
- Waikite, Coates Road, Rotorua
- Waiotapu Valley, Reporoa
- Western Bay, Links View Drive, Omokoroa
- Whakatane, Golf Links Road, Whakatane