The lower North Island embraces the prosperous farming districts of Wanganui, Rangitikei, Manawatu and Horowhenua.
The landscape sweeps dramatically down from mountain ranges into fertile alluvial plains devoted to agricultural and pastoral industries. Most farming districts support a popular classic country golf club, each one having its own interesting and challenging features for the visiting golfer.
The 23 courses in this region are outlined below and a brief description is given of some of the notable ones.
Wanganui in the Belmont area off State Highway 3, was one of New Zealand’s first golf clubs, founded in 1894. The 5,939 metre, par 70 course is on a sandy base so it is well drained all year round. Many national and interprovincial tournaments have been held here and the clubhouse and facilities are excellent.
Manawatu course is located in Centennial Drive, Hokowhitu just out of Palmerston North. The 6,050 metre, par 72 course is a similar age to Wanganui and is equally venerated as a truly tried and tested championship venue. The park-like fairways running beside the Manawatu River are deceptively difficult to play and the undulating greens can trap the unwary. The club facilities include tennis courts, swimming pool, barbecue area and driving range.
Levin golf links is in Moutere Road just south of town and 95 km north of Wellington. This 6,146 metre, par 72 course is one of the top courses in this region, designed with narrow, tree-lined fairways, often defined by long embankments with a good crop of long grass. Staying out of the rough on the par fours calls for deep concentration and accurate tee shots. A visit to the Levin club will reward you with a great game of golf on an easy walking, laid-back course.
Feilding is a park-like course with easy walking conditions, two minutes from the town centre. There is an excellent pro-shop and clubhouse facilities.
Manawatu/Wanganui Region Golf Courses
- Castlecliff, Awatea Street, Wanganui
- Golf City, Railway Road, Palmerston North
- Levin, Moutere Road, Levin
- Waimarino, Golf Course Road, Ohakune
- Apiti, Main Road, Apiti
- Buckley, Engles Road, Shannon
- Feilding, Waughs Road, Feilding
- Foxton, 111 Main Highway North, Foxton
- Hawkestone, Kakariki Road, Marton
- Hokio Sands, 317 Hokio Sands Road, Levin
- Linton Camp, Camp Road, Linton
- Manawatu, Centennial Drive, Palmerston North
- Marton, Santoft Road, Marton
- Pahiatua, Main Road North, Pahiatua
- Palmerston North, Brightwater Tce, Palmerston North
- Parapara, Otuma Fields, Wanganui
- Rangatira, State Highway 1, Hunterville
- Rangitikei, Raumai Road, Bulls
- RNZAF Base, Ohakea, Bulls
- Taihape, Ngawaka
- Tawhero, 24 York Street, Wanganui
- Waiouru, S.H 1 (opposite Military Camp), Waiouru
- Wanganui, Clarkson Avenue, Wanganui
Leave A Comment