The extensive Waikato and King Country areas in the Central North Island embrace important farming industries and tourism treasures like the sparsely populated Coromandel Peninsula and the stunning Waitomo Caves.
The region is well endowed with adventure tourism sites and sports venues, including 46 golf courses. The full list of courses is set out below and a brief description is given of some of the notable ones.
Hamilton, at Saint Andrews, just north of the city, extends over lush green undulating terrain alongside the Waikato River. The 6,078 metre, par 72 well-manicured, park-like course is 100 years old, has hosted many national championships and rates very highly as a ‘must-play’ course.
Lochiel is a nearly flat, picturesque par 72 course close to the Rukuhia Airport about 10 km south of Hamilton
Cambridge, south of Hamilton, is ranged along the Waikato River and is revered as a wonderfully challenging course and the oldest club in the Waikato.
Ngaruawahia is another pleasant riverside country course, which is rapidly increasing in popularity.
Matarangi is an outstanding links course laid out by Sir Bob Charles among sand dunes and pine tree groves on easy undulating land near Whitianga on the Coromandel Peninsula. Don’t go past this one.
Taumaranui is a 5,648 metre, 71 par course with a name for genuine small town hospitality and beautiful country surroundings.
Waitomo is strategically placed a few minutes drive from the iconic glow-worm caves. It measures up to championship standard, though it is an easy-going country course.
Tokoroa is another relatively short and easy walking course, which makes a pleasant stopover for travellers. This one is not to be underestimated for degree of difficulty though – the course record is 69.
Pauanui Lakes Resort is a championship course established in 2004 on the Coromandel Peninsula. The course has superb facilities including tennis courts, aquatic centre, restaurant and luxury villa accommodation.
Waikato Region Golf Courses
- Mercury Bay Golf & Country Club, Golf Road, Whitianga
- Park International Country Club, Whatawhata Rd, Hamilton
- Pauanui, Sheppard Avenue, Pauanui
- Thames, State Highway 26,Thames
- Whangamata, Waihi Road, Whangamata
- Cambridge, 112 State Highway 1, Cambridge
- Coromandel, Hauraki Road, Coromandel
- Hamilton, St Andrews Tce, Hamilton
- Hauraki, cnr State Highway 2 & 27, Mangatarata
- Horsham Downs, River Road North, Hamilton
- Hukanui, Gordonton-Taupiri Road, Gordonton
- Huntly, Te Ohaki Road, Huntly
- Kawhia Club, Kawhia, Waikato
- Lochiel, Lochiel Road, Hamilton
- Mangakino, 4 Konini Street, Mangakino
- Mapiu Club, Mapiu, Te Kuiti
- Matamata, Springs Road, Okauia
- Matarangi, Matarangi Beach, Whitianga
- Mercury Bay, Golf Road, Whitianga
- Morrinsville, 17 Golf Course Road, Morrinville
- Narrows, Airport Road, Hamilton
- Ngahinepouri, Reid Rd, Ohaupo
- Ngaruawahia, State Highway 1, Ngaruawahia
- Okoroire, Okoroire Hot Springs Hotel, Tirau
- Paeroa, Rotokohu Road, Paeroa
- Pio Pio Aria, State Highway 3, Pio Pio
- Pirongia, Pirongia-Hamilton Road, Pirongia
- Purangi, cnr Hepburn & Purangi Roads, Purangi
- Putaruru, Back Lichfield Road, Putaruru
- Raglan Club, Raglan, Waikato
- Stewart Alexander, Budden Road, Te Awamutu
- Tahuna, Morrinsville-Ohinewai Road, Tahuna
- Tairua Country Club, 283 Main Road North
- Taumarunui, Golf Road, Taumarunui
- Te Akau, Ngarawhahia, Waikato
- Te Aroha, Main Te Aroha-Paeroa Road
- Te Awamutu, Kihikihi, S.H 3, Te Awamutu
- Te Kowhai, Cnr School & Store Roads, Whatawhata
- Tirau Club, Tirau, Waikato
- Tokoroa, Main Road South, Tokoroa
- Waihi, Woodlands Rd, Waihi
- Waikare, Waerenga Road, Te Kauwhata
- Waiterimu, Storey Road, Ohinewai
- Waitomo, Golf Road, Otorohanga
- Walton, Walton-Kiwitahi Road, Walton