The centre of the South Island comprises the region of Aorangi (Maori name for Mt Cook) and the Mackenzie area, together with part of South Canterbury.
This region of vast golden tussock grasslands, snow-capped mountains and glaciers provides vistas that are truly breathtaking. A number of friendly country communities like Fairlie, Tekapo, Methven and Rakaia have developed their own golf courses, which are distinguished by their genuine southern hospitality. On the coast, larger towns like Timaru and Ashburton provide the opportunity for travellers on State Highway 1 to stop for a pleasant interlude on their local golf courses.
Despite the relatively low population in this region there are a surprising 19 golf courses, which are listed below together with a brief description of some of the notable ones.
Timaru club can be located at The Levels, halfway between Timaru and Temuka. This 6,031 metre, par 72 course was designed by English professional Mike Wolveridge and is of such a high standard that it has hosted a number of interprovincial championships over the years. The course is flat with tree-lined fairways and well-protected greens. The bunkers are noteworthy for their fine gravel bases, which can be quite abrasive on your sand wedge. Despite this, The Levels is an excellent test of driving and pitching skills and is highly esteemed by local players and visitors alike.
Methven is located south of the Methven ski resort township near the Rakaia River. The course is uncrowded most of the year and always has the welcome mat laid out for visitors from overseas who come to experience the skiing delights of nearby Mt Hutt. There are no electric carts here but the flat fairways make for an easy walk around the course while you enjoy the pleasant surroundings.
Ashburton is another classic country course where you can enjoy the stately old trees and well-groomed fairways in a totally relaxed atmosphere.
Aoraki Region Golf Courses
- Highfield, 77 Douglas Street, Timaru
- Ashburton, Golf Links Road, Ashburton
- Ben Ohau, McKenzie Drive, Twizel.
- Fairlie, Talbot Street, Fairlie
- Geraldine District, Orari Back Road, Geraldine
- Gleniti, Hadlow Rd & Pages Rd, Timaru
- Grande Vue, Gresham Street, Geraldine
- MacKenzie, State Highway 8, Lake Tekapo
- Maungati,Craigmore Valley Road, Maungati
- Mayfield, Bulls Road, Mayfield
- Methven, Hobbs Road, Methven
- Mt Nessing, Mt Nessing Road, Albury
- Pleasant Point, Butlers Road, Pleasant Point
- Rakaia, Acton Road, Rakaia
- St Andrews, Main Road south, S.H 1
- Temuka, Domain Ave, Temuka
- Timaru, Lynch Road, Levels
- Tinwald, Frasers Road, Tinwald
- Waimate, Parsonage Rd, Waimate