Auckland’s fashionable North Shore abounds with spacious parks, reserves, beaches and golf clubs offering a diverse range of settings and contours. The region is noted for surprising contrasts in the form of its coastlines, with sheltered bays in the east and wild, surf-pounded black sand beaches in the west.
The 15 golf courses in this region are outlined below together with a brief description of some of the notable ones.
Gulf Harbour is a challenging 6,483 metre, par 72 course in a superb coastal setting on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula, one hour’s drive from Auckland. The Country Club facilities are outstanding and full Stay & Play packages are available. Eminent American designer Robert Trent Jones Jnr. designed the course, which makes the most of the unsurpassed marine views to Auckland from the back nine holes. Gulf Harbour is scheduled to host the 2005 New Zealand Open. It is rated by Tourism New Zealand as one of our eight best golf courses.
Muriwai is unique in the region as a true links all-weather course, which ensures the fairways are dry and the greens are maintained in a smooth condition. The 6,207 metre, par 72 course is constantly being reconfigured as the giant Tasman Sea rollers erode the coastal dunes. The second 9 holes call for pinpoint accuracy with the narrow greens and strategically placed bunkers. The testing greens coupled with tricky crosswinds (euphemistically called ‘sea breezes’) make for a very enjoyable golfing experience at an extremely reasonable cost.
Takapuna is an outstanding public course catering for all comers at a relatively low cost. Water hazards in the form of lagoons, channels and trenches make it especially testing for the novice but very enjoyable all the same. Weekdays are less crowded and there is an excellent driving range.
North Harbour Region Golf Courses
- Gulf Harbour Country Club, Gulf Harbour Drive, Whangaparaoa
- Muriwai, Coast Road, Muriwai
- Helensville District, Peak Road, Helensville, Auckland
- Huapai, 1261 Coatesville Riverhead Highway, Kumeu
- North Shore, 51 Appleby Road, Albany
- Omaha Beach, Omaha Drive, Omaha Beach, North Auckland
- Peninsula, 65 Hibiscus Coast Highway, Orewa
- Pupuke, East Coast Road, Campbell’s Bay
- RNZAF Base, Kauri Road, Whenuapai, Auckland
- South Head, South Head Road, Helensville, Auckland
- Takapuna, Northcote Road, Takapuna, Auckland
- Waitakere, Falls Road, Swanson, Auckland
- Waitemata, Derby street, Devonport, Auckland
- Warkworth, Golf Road, Warkworth
- Whangaparaoa, 1337 Whangaparaoa Road, Whangaparaoa