WELLINGTON (overnight stay)
Wellington is located at the bottom of the North Island and is the capital city of New Zealand.Wellington is a popular weekend getaway with New Zealander’s from both the North and South Island’s, which is why you will enjoy having an entire day and evening to enjoy the sights, sounds and attractions that makes this vibrant city such a popular holiday spot. This city is full of culture and character and is home to movie making legends such as Lord of the Rings! Wellington is also the North Island base for the Cook Strait Ferries that cross between the North and South Island.
Accommodation is plentiful in the city and surrounding suburbs with a great range of budget motel and hotel accommodation within the central city, as well as plenty of unique bed & breakfast style lodgings, holiday parks and camp grounds.
You wont go hungry in Wellington either! From delightful ethnic restaurants and take-way bars to upmarket New Zealand fusion restaurants and more cafes then you can throw coffee beans at, you will find plenty of eateries to suit your budget and dietary requirements.
Highly recommended Wellington tourist attractions include…
Te Papa Museum – This is New Zealand’s national museum and offers an innovative and interactive visitor-focused museum experience. Make sure you view the Te Papa Marae! We suggest you take a Te Papa Tour, which lasts 45 minutes, and runs daily at specified times.
Wellington Cable Car – Make sure you check out Wellington’s most popular tourist attraction for yourself! Cable cars run from Lambton Quay in the commercial heart of the city via tunnels and hills as you pass Kelburn Park and Victoria University before reaching the Lookout, Carter Observatory, Planetarium and Cable Car Museum at the top!
Wellington Movie Tours – Enjoy a short tour of New Zealand’s movie capital as you enjoy the scenery around the bays of Wellington while travelling to many movie-filming sights, including 10 scenes from Lord of the Rings!
Shopping – Wellington is a shopping Mecca! Spend an afternoon enjoying the diverse shopping along Lambton Quay, Willis Street, Cuba Street and Courtenay Place. Check out the shops in the Old Bank Arcade for top Wellington designers for something unique and original!
Karori Sanctuary – View some of New Zealand’s rarest and most endangered wildlife in this Sanctuary, including the little spotted kiwi, tuatara, saddleback, stitchbird and kaka.
City Gallery Wellington – Check out the latest exhibition of New Zealand’s avant-garde artists as well as other international collections. Enjoy a free tour during weekends or a great espresso coffee in the popular Nikau cafe.
Parliament Building Tour – Free guided tours leave on the hour in the beautifully refurbished Parliament Buildings, which are located in the historic Thorndon suburb. View three architecturally distinctive buildings… the Edwardian neo-classical Parliament House, the Victorian Gothic Parliamentary Library and the unique 1970’s style Beehive building.
New Zealand Itineraries: North Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua and Rotorua – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Dargaville, Dargaville – Kaitaia, Kaitaia – Paihia, Paihia – Whangarei and Whangarei – Auckland
- 7 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Napier and Napier – Wellington
- 8 Day Itinerary: Wellington, Wellington – Masterton, Masterton – Wellington, Wellington – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim and Blenheim – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier – Taupo, Taupo – Rotorua, Rotorua – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Whangarei, Whangarei – Paihia, Paihia – Hokianga, Hokianga – Auckland, Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 11 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier Taupo Napier, Napier – Wellington, Wellington – New Plymouth, New Plymouth – Waitomo and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
Leave A Comment