DARGAVILLE – KAITAIA
Travel distance is approximately 211kms (132 miles).
Allow at least 3 hours drive time (not including stops).
Part of the Twin Coast Discovery Highway.
After spending a day and night in Dargaville exploring the Kaipara Harbour and partaking in some of the local activities, such as fishing, quad biking and bird watching, it’s time to continue your Twin Coast Discovery Highway journey. Remember – the west coast beaches in this area form part of the longest driveable beach in New Zealand!
The backcountry route to Kaitaia takes you past the Herekino Forest, which is a great place to explore nature and stretch your legs on the Kaitaia Walkway.
Some notable stops along the route to Kaitaia include:
‘Opo the Friendly Dolphin’ made Opononi famous in the summer of 1955. A statue in Opononi commemorates Opo’s visit. Also famous for the beautiful pohutukawa trees that line the sandy shore, a quick stopover is in order! For those with a little more time, take a boat across to the magnificent sand dunes and try some dune surfing!
Located in the township of Kaikohe, the Pioneer Village is situated on Recreation Road and sprawls across approximately 7 acres with many historic buildings located within. Make sure you check out the First Courthouse in New Zealand!
HEREKINO FOREST TRACK
Located south-east of Kaitaia, Herekino Forest is considered one of the most important for conservation in the country. It is home to many rare and threatened species, including the North Island brown kiwi, long tailed bat and kauri snail. Early in the morning, on a clear day, you can get beautiful views of the Aupouri Peninsula, Karikari, Doubtless bay and Rangaunu Harbour.
Welcome to the most northern town in New Zealand, which is only approximately 116km’s from Cape Reinga. There is plenty to see and do during your over-night stay in this sunny town. Kaitaia and surrounding areas are home to many skilled craftspeople working in wood, pottery, paint, glass, ceramics, flax, bone, and greenstone.
Highly recommended Kaitaia tourist attractions include…
A to Z DIVING – New Zealand’s most northerly PADI dive school is located at Whatuwhiwhi beach so you can dive in clear, unspoilt ocean waters with an abundance of marine life on show.
SAILING CHARTER – Take the opportunity to cruise around idyllic bays along the beautiful Northland coast. A range of charters are on offer, from day cruises to longer.
GUMDIGGERS PARK – An authentic Kauri Gum digging site that is over 100 years old! View the awesome buried Kauri Forests in this top Northland attractions. Loaded with information and history, this is a ‘must do’ during your Northland holiday.
VINEYARD & WINERY – Okahu Estate is New Zealand’s most northern vineyard and winery. Visit the Cellar Door for free tastings of award winning wines. Along with wine for sale, there is a great range of local sauces, olive oil, honey, chutneys, nuts, cheese, jellies and jams.
NINETY MILE BEACH – This fabled strip of sand stretches from Ahipara to Scott Point and is actually 88 kilometres long! Officially a highway, the beach is only suitable for 4WD vehicles, however there are plenty of awesome beach cruises/tours on offer.
New Zealand Itineraries: North Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua and Rotorua – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Dargaville, Dargaville – Kaitaia, Kaitaia – Paihia, Paihia – Whangarei and Whangarei – Auckland
- 7 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Napier and Napier – Wellington
- 8 Day Itinerary: Wellington, Wellington – Masterton, Masterton – Wellington, Wellington – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim and Blenheim – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier – Taupo, Taupo – Rotorua, Rotorua – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Whangarei, Whangarei – Paihia, Paihia – Hokianga, Hokianga – Auckland, Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 11 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier Taupo Napier, Napier – Wellington, Wellington – New Plymouth, New Plymouth – Waitomo and Waitomo Caves – Auckland