KAITAIA – PAIHIA (via Kerikeri)
Travel distance is approximately 122kms (76 miles).
Allow at least 2 hours drive time (not including stops).
Part of the Twin Coast Discovery Highway.
Kaitaia is the main centre for the sunny north, so make sure you take advantage of top attractions, such as a bus trip along Ninety Mile Beach before heading towards beautiful Kerikeri and onto the beach resort town of Paihia!
The road trip to Paihia is loaded with plenty of scenic side trips to keep you interested, so make sure you leave plenty of time to savour all that this stunning area of the North Island has to offer visitors. Plan on enjoying a memorable day and night in ‘picture perfect’ Paihia.
Some notable stops along the route to Paihia include:
CAPE REINGA LIGHTHOUSE
If you have time, take a diversion to visit the legendary Cape Reinga Lighthouse and view the coming together of Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea.
Boasting over 70km’s of pristine coastline and safe beaches galore, you might find yourself wanting to stay longer! Superb beaches for safe swimming include Coopers Beach, Cable Bay, Taipa, Tokerau Beach and Whatuwhiwhi. From swimming to diving, surfing, kayaking, sailing, water ski-ing, fishing and more… it’s a water sport haven!
KERIKERI STONE STORE
Built in 1832, this is New Zealand’s oldest standing European stone building and is a fabulous example of stonemasonry. Originally built to house New Zealand mission supplies and large quantities of wheat from the mission farm at Te Waimate, the building was eventually used as a general store. Owned by the Historic Trust, the building has undergone extensive conservation work.
Located in Kerikeri, watch chocolate being hand-made using only the freshest, natural ingredients and purchase these high-quality chocolates or send as gifts.
Welcome to the winterless wonderland that is Paihia – the jewel of the Bay of Islands. This is the perfect place to base yourself for your Northland holiday experience. There is plenty of accommodation and fabulous restaurants to satisfy even the most discerning traveller!
Highly recommended Paihia tourist attractions include…
WAITANGI TREATY GROUNDS – Only a short distance from Paihia, the Waitangi Treaty Grounds is where the Treaty of Waitangi was first signed between Maori and the British Crown in 1840. The Treaty Grounds is fabulous look into New Zealand’s history and culture and is a ‘must do’ for any visitor to the area.
SAILING CHARTERS – Take the opportunity to cruise around this beautiful part of the Bay of Islands. Day trips or longer cruises available.
FISHING CHARTERS – Professional and experienced fishing boat charters are in abundance in Paihia. Enjoy a few hours, day or longer aboard a luxury charter boat as you try our hand at deep sea fishing.
HOLE IN THE ROCK – The 8 metre EXCITOR is a purpose designed and built fast boat that takes you on a one and a half hour thrilling journey through the Bay of Islands. Your trip includes a breath-taking Hole in the Rock experience, see Cathedral Cave and Cape Brett Lighthouse and other stunning coastal scenery.
DIVING – Enjoy ocean diving at it’s best in this marine wonderland.
KAYAKING – Hire a kayak or take a tour as you check out the stunning coastal scenery.
New Zealand Itineraries: North Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua and Rotorua – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Dargaville, Dargaville – Kaitaia, Kaitaia – Paihia, Paihia – Whangarei and Whangarei – Auckland
- 7 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Napier and Napier – Wellington
- 8 Day Itinerary: Wellington, Wellington – Masterton, Masterton – Wellington, Wellington – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim and Blenheim – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier – Taupo, Taupo – Rotorua, Rotorua – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Whangarei, Whangarei – Paihia, Paihia – Hokianga, Hokianga – Auckland, Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 11 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier Taupo Napier, Napier – Wellington, Wellington – New Plymouth, New Plymouth – Waitomo and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
Leave A Comment