AUCKLAND – DARGAVILLE
Travel distance is approximately 185kms (116 miles).
Allow at least 2 hours and 25 minutes drive time (not including stops).
Part of the Twin Coast Discovery Highway.
The Twin Coast Discovery Highway is a circular, touring route that provides a scenic and relaxing driving route so you can access all that the Northland region has to offer.
Start your awesome North Island 6 day tour from Auckland city, which is where the Twin Coast Discover Highway begins and then travels north, following both North Island coasts all the way to Cape Reinga and back down to Auckland.
The journey to Dargaville is a delightful trip that includes a beautiful scenic drive through the Waitakere Ranges, while leaving you plenty of time to enjoy a day and night in Dargaville – the gateway to the Kauri Forest.
Some notable stops along the route to Dargaville include:
Just over 40 minutes from Auckland, Parakai Springs is a natural geothermal wonder with a huge heated outdoor thermal pool heated, large indoor thermal heated pool, private thermal spa pools and large Aquatic Park.
KAIWAKA CHEESE SHOP
Located on State Highway 1, the shop stocks a wide range of cheeses from around New Zealand, Holland, France and Switzerland. With over 50 cheeses to choose from, including the popular Gouda, there is something for every cheese lover!. Other gourmet products include Seaweed products, Northland wines and ports plus other wonderful products.
MATAKOHE KAURI MUSEUM
The world famous award winning Kauri Museum is definitely one of New Zealand’s most amazing theme museums. Visit and learn the story of the pioneering days through the use of kauri timber and kauri gum with exceptional displays and dedicated galleries to be viewed, along with the largest collection of kauri gum in the world, a replica boarding house, a school and an historic post office with a fantastic collection of telephones.
Considered the heart of the Kauri Coast, there is plenty for you to see and do during you over-night stay in this quaint town. There is plenty of restaurants, cafes and accommodation to choose from.
Highly recommended Dargaville tourist attractions include…
DARGAVILLE MUSEUM – Enjoy a guided museum tour and view unique displays of all things nautical along with exhibits showcasing Maori artefacts, working model railway and village, pioneer exhibits and much more.
THE WOODTURNERS KAURI GALLERY – Open most days so you can a genuine woodturner at this best! The shop has a fabulous selection of woodturned products, including ancient Kauri.
TROUSON KAURI PARK – Fully guided night time nature walks in Trounson Kauri Park take approximately 2 hours and allow visitors to see the forest at night. Keep a look out for Weta, Kiwi, Glow-worms, Kokapu, Kauri Snails, Eels and Morepork.
TROUT FISHING – Kai Iwi Lakes is located 35km’s North of Dargaville and fully guided trout fishing expeditions are available.
WAIPOUA FOREST – The Waipoua Forest is home to the mighty Kauri tree and boasts to being home to the three largest Kauri trees left in New Zealand.
New Zealand Itineraries: North Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua and Rotorua – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Dargaville, Dargaville – Kaitaia, Kaitaia – Paihia, Paihia – Whangarei and Whangarei – Auckland
- 7 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Napier and Napier – Wellington
- 8 Day Itinerary: Wellington, Wellington – Masterton, Masterton – Wellington, Wellington – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim and Blenheim – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier – Taupo, Taupo – Rotorua, Rotorua – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Whangarei, Whangarei – Paihia, Paihia – Hokianga, Hokianga – Auckland, Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 11 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier Taupo Napier, Napier – Wellington, Wellington – New Plymouth, New Plymouth – Waitomo and Waitomo Caves – Auckland