TAKAKA – MOTUEKA (Via Collingwood)
Travel distance is approximately 74kms (46 miles).
Allow at least 1.5 hours drive time (not including stops).
The winding trip over the Takaka Hill is worth the journey for the panoramic views of Golden Bay from the top.
Some notable stops along the route to Motueka include:
Located on Takaka Hill in the Marble Mountain, the huge Ngarua Cave showcases stalactites in the magnificent Wedding Cathedral and the chance to view the carbonated bones of the now extinct Moa bird. The tour takes approximately 45 minutes.
Situated at the western end of State Highway 60, Collingwood has plenty to offer for the nature lover, including access to the Heaphy Track in the Kahurangi National Park. Rent a mountain bike and explore the stunning Aorere Valley or kayak around the Ruataniwha Inlet.
The Motueka township is a vibrant, friendly and cosmopolitan town on the western side of the Tasman Bay, offering visitors long summer days and mild winters. Motueka is the Town of the Abel Tasman National Park and you’ll find all the amenities you would expect in a larger town with supermarkets, an extensive array of shops, artizans, amazing cafes and the Motueka i-SITE Visitor Centre that offers knowledge and advice on the local area and attractions.
The area has a great range of accommodation to suit your budget and requirements, including bed and breakfast, motels, self-contained, camping grounds and backpackers.
Highly recommended Motueka tourist attractions include…
Guided Walks – Join in a guided walk through lush native bush and serene golden beaches. Day trips or longer available.
Kayaking – Choose to hire a kayak or be part of a guided tour around the stunning coastal beaches of the Abel Tasman National Park.
Seal Swim – Get up close and personal with playful seals in a low impact eco friendly swim with seals in the Abel Tasman.
Skydiving – Take the opportunity to jump at the only dropzone offering a standard height of 13,000ft as you take in dramatic views of mountains, turquoise seas and golden beaches.
Boat Charter Cruise – Enjoy a scenic cruise into the Abel Tasman National Park.
Motueka Mini Golf – Only 7 minutes from Motueka, this family friendly complex features local icons and is home to the areas only driving range!
Motueka District Museum – Located in the heart of the township, visitors can enjoy a glimpse of Motueka’s past with static displays, changing exhibitions and a research facility.
New Zealand Itineraries: South Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Greymouth, Greymouth – Fox Glacier, Franz Josef – Wanaka, Wanaka – Mt Cook and Mt Cook – Christchurch
- 5 Day Itinerary (route 2): Christchurch – Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs – St Arnuad, St Arnuad – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch
- 5 Day Itinerary (route 3): Christchurch – Mt Cook, Mt Cook – Queenstown, Queenstown – Dunedin, Dunedin – Oamaru and Oamaru – Christchurch
- 7 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin – Invercargill, Invercargill – Stewart Island, Stewart Island – Te-anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown and Queenstown – Christchurch
- 8 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Greymouth, Greymouth – Fox Glacier, Fox Glacier – Wanaka, Wanaka – Queenstown, Queenstown – Te Anau, Te Anau – Dunedin and Dunedin – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin, Dunedin – Invercragill, Invercargill – Te Anau, Te Anau Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown, Queenstown – Mt Cook, Mt Cook – Lake Tekapo and Lake Tekapo – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Christchurch – Omarama, Omarama – Dunedin, Dunedin, Dunedin – Te Anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown, Queenstown – Haast, Haast – Greymouth and Greymouth – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 3): Christchurch – Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs – Greymouth, Greymouth – Nelson, Nelson – Takaka, Takaka – Motueka, Motueka – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch
- 11 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin – Te Anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Milford Sound – Queenstown, Queenstown – Wanaka, Wanaka – Franz Josef, Franz Josef – Greymouth, Greymouth – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch