NELSON – TAKAKA
Travel distance is approximately 108kms (67 miles).
Allow at least 2 hours drive time (not including stops).
The winding trip over the Takaka Hill is worth the journey for the panoramic views of Golden Bay from the top.
Some notable stops along the route to Takaka include:
Located on Takaka Hill in the Marble Mountain, the huge Ngarua Cave showcases stalactites in the magnificent Wedding Cathedral and the chance to view the carbonated bones of the now extinct Moa bird. The tour takes approximately 45 minutes.
Vibrant and colorful, Takaka is a unique township offering main street shopping, cafés and fresh produce. Always bustling with activity during the summer season, the town also offers plenty of value-for-money accommodation, including backpacker lodges, B&Bs and friendly homestays.
Highly recommended Takaka tourist attractions include…
Te Waikoropupu Springs – Located in Golden Bay, the springs are well known for the clarity of the water, and the volume of water discharged. The springs are spiritually significant to the Maori People. Commonly referred to as Pupu Springs, this is New Zealand’s largest freshwater springs and the largest coldwater springs in the southern hemisphere.
Farewell Spit Eco Tour – This bird sanctuary and wetland area is more strictly protected than a national park and vehicle access to this 35km long stretch to beach is granted only to supervised tours. The popular Farewell Spit Eco tour departs from Collingwood and visits Cape Farewell.
Mountain Biking – Located on Takaka Hill, the Rameka Track is a popular ride within the Abel National Park.
Kahurangi National Park – One of New Zealand’s newest and the second largest national park, the Park boasts 452,002 hectares and more then 570 kilometres of walking and tramping tracks. The more popular longer walks include the Heaphy Track (one of New Zealand’s Great Walks) and the Wangapeka Track.
Horse Trekking – Enjoy the tranquility and views of 800 acres on a New Zealand working farm with Stonehurst Farm Horse Treks.
The Nelson Market – Welcome to the famous Nelson Saturday market! Experience the original creative spirit of the region in one happening place as you stroll the lanes between the hundreds of stalls for Nelson’s best fresh veges, breads, fruit, cheeses, woodwork, gourmet foods, designer wear, crafts and treasures before treating yourself at the food stalls!
World of WearableArt™ & Classic Cars Museum – Welcome to this exotic fantasy world where art is taken off the walls to adorn the body while the Classic Car Gallery features over 50 cars and motorbikes – featuring the best of motor vehicle design from late 19th century inventions through to modern day marvels.
New Zealand Itineraries: South Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Greymouth, Greymouth – Fox Glacier, Franz Josef – Wanaka, Wanaka – Mt Cook and Mt Cook – Christchurch
- 5 Day Itinerary (route 2): Christchurch – Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs – St Arnuad, St Arnuad – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch
- 5 Day Itinerary (route 3): Christchurch – Mt Cook, Mt Cook – Queenstown, Queenstown – Dunedin, Dunedin – Oamaru and Oamaru – Christchurch
- 7 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin – Invercargill, Invercargill – Stewart Island, Stewart Island – Te-anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown and Queenstown – Christchurch
- 8 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Greymouth, Greymouth – Fox Glacier, Fox Glacier – Wanaka, Wanaka – Queenstown, Queenstown – Te Anau, Te Anau – Dunedin and Dunedin – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin, Dunedin – Invercragill, Invercargill – Te Anau, Te Anau Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown, Queenstown – Mt Cook, Mt Cook – Lake Tekapo and Lake Tekapo – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Christchurch – Omarama, Omarama – Dunedin, Dunedin, Dunedin – Te Anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown, Queenstown – Haast, Haast – Greymouth and Greymouth – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 3): Christchurch – Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs – Greymouth, Greymouth – Nelson, Nelson – Takaka, Takaka – Motueka, Motueka – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch
- 11 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin – Te Anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Milford Sound – Queenstown, Queenstown – Wanaka, Wanaka – Franz Josef, Franz Josef – Greymouth, Greymouth – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch