TE ANAU – QUEENSTOWN
Travel distance is approximately 172kms (108 miles).
Allow at least 2.25 hours drive time (not including stops).
With only a short travel distance for the day, you can choose to experience some more time enjoying the delights of Milford and Doubtful Sounds, or choose to ‘get on the road’ and take in the sights on your scenic route to the shores of Lake Wakatipu and Queenstown.
Some notable stops along the route to Queenstown include:
MANAPOURI UNDERGROUND POWER STATION
Cruise across the crystal clear waters of Lake Manapouri to West Arm before travelling by coach 2km down a spiral tunnel to the immense machine hall of Manapouri Underground Power Station. Located deep in the heart of the mountain, this is an informative tour where you can learn how they harness the energy of rushing water to generate electricity.
BRACKEN HALL – MOSSBURN
A terrific Kiwi gift shop and cafe with homemade scones, muffins, Devonshire teas, fresh Venison pies and more. Huge range of quality gifts and collectables including plenty of NZ made products.
This beautiful rural township is located in Northern Southland and is a great place for trying your fishing skills against the famous Brown Trout.
QUEENSTOWN GOLF CLUB
Internationally regarded as one of the more picturesque golf courses in the world, even if you don’t play golf a slight detour on route to Queenstown to Kelvin Heights is worth it just for the stunning views at this 18 hole golf course. On-site cafe and bar.
Welcome to Queenstown – home to crystal clear mountain air, stunning lakes and majestic mountains. With a plethora of visitor activities to choose from, it wont take you long to see why Queenstown is considered New Zealand’s premier tourist destination.
The main centre of Queenstown offers a friendly ambience with plenty of cafes, restaurants, bars and shops to satisfy any cravings you may have for city action! There is a multitude of adventure and sports activities on offer, including summer lake activities and top class winter skiing or snowboarding at Treble Cone, Cardrona, Snow Farm, Snow Park and Harris Mountains – all within easy driving distance from Queenstown.
Highly recommended Queenstown tourist attractions include…
Skyline Gondola & Luge – When you first arrive in Queenstown you will notice the distinctive outline of the Skyline complex high above town. Only a 5 minute walk from the CBD, the Gondola is a ‘must do’ on the Queenstown visitor list. At the top enjoy spectacular 220 degree panorama views before taking the fast way downhill in a luge.
Ledge Bungy – Take a ride on the Gondola up to the Skyline complex and enjoy impressive views back down into Queenstown. The Ledge Bungy is in a truly spectacular location – 400m’s above Queenstown and is New Zealand’s only night operating Bungy (just in case you felt like plummeting into complete darkness). With over 10 ways to bungy jump off the ledge you’ll have a grand time!
TSS Earnslaw Vintage Steamship – Cruise across scenic Lake Wakatipu and relive the elegance of a bygone era on board this beautifully restored vintage steamship before enjoying a farmyard tour at Walter Peak High Country Farm.
Kawarau Jet – Departing hourly from the pier in the heart of Queenstown, get ready for an unforgettable jetboat experience along two of New Zealand’s most scenic rivers.
Wine Tour – Discover the premium vineyards of Central Otago on a wine tour with an experienced guide, including lunch at one of the award winning wineries.
Kiwi Birdlife Park – Located within a sanctuary of trees, bush and native trails in the heart of Queenstown, the park guarantees that all visitors will view a Kiwi! Enjoy the Live Conservation Show, Kiwi feedings, the Early Maori Hunting Village, Native Garden Trail and much more.
Gibbston Valley Wines – This award-winning wine producer boasts an exceptional winery restaurant, wine tours and tasting events for visitors to the Central Otago region. Dine al fresco in the sun-drenched courtyard over summer, or enjoy the warm ambiance inside during winter.
High Country Horse Trekking – Enjoy horse trekking in the splendour of a privately owned high country sheep station just a short distance from Queenstown. Variety of trekking options to suit all levels.
New Zealand Itineraries: South Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Greymouth, Greymouth – Fox Glacier, Franz Josef – Wanaka, Wanaka – Mt Cook and Mt Cook – Christchurch
- 5 Day Itinerary (route 2): Christchurch – Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs – St Arnuad, St Arnuad – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch
- 5 Day Itinerary (route 3): Christchurch – Mt Cook, Mt Cook – Queenstown, Queenstown – Dunedin, Dunedin – Oamaru and Oamaru – Christchurch
- 7 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin – Invercargill, Invercargill – Stewart Island, Stewart Island – Te-anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown and Queenstown – Christchurch
- 8 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Greymouth, Greymouth – Fox Glacier, Fox Glacier – Wanaka, Wanaka – Queenstown, Queenstown – Te Anau, Te Anau – Dunedin and Dunedin – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin, Dunedin – Invercragill, Invercargill – Te Anau, Te Anau Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown, Queenstown – Mt Cook, Mt Cook – Lake Tekapo and Lake Tekapo – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Christchurch – Omarama, Omarama – Dunedin, Dunedin, Dunedin – Te Anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown, Queenstown – Haast, Haast – Greymouth and Greymouth – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 3): Christchurch – Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs – Greymouth, Greymouth – Nelson, Nelson – Takaka, Takaka – Motueka, Motueka – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch
- 11 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin – Te Anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Milford Sound – Queenstown, Queenstown – Wanaka, Wanaka – Franz Josef, Franz Josef – Greymouth, Greymouth – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch