QUEENSTOWN – HAAST (via Wanaka)
Travel distance is approximately 262kms (163 miles).
Allow at least 4 hours drive time (not including stops).
Enjoy a truly scenic trip today as you leave the thriving hustle of Queenstown before travelling via Lake Wanaka and into the truly magical beauty of the South West New Zealand World Heritage Area.
Remote and seemingly untouched, this is a very special New Zealand gem, offering some of the most unique scenery and wildlife situated amidst spectacular and rugged scenery.
Allow yourself plenty of time for photo stops!
Some notable stops along the route to Haast include:
GIBBSTON VALLEY WINES
This award-winning wine producer boasts an exceptional winery restaurant, wine tours and tasting events for visitors to the Central Otago region. Dine al fresco in the sun-drenched courtyard over summer, or enjoy the warm ambiance inside during winter.
NZ FIGHTER PILOTS MUSEUM
View an amazing collection of airworthy WWII fighter aircraft including a Vampire, Hurricane, Mustang and Polikarpov I-16 & I -153. Located on route into Wanaka.
This unique attraction is a great ‘any weather’ place for all the family. Along with a great maze, there are plenty of other crazy things to see and do!
The resort township of Wanaka is a great place to enjoy a leisurely lunch in one of the many top-notch cafes and restaurants located in the heart of the town. There is a multitude of adventure and sports activities on offer, including summer lake activities and top class winter skiing or snowboarding.
Located just before Wanaka, the lake is a picture perfect shade of deep blue and provides some great landscape photo opportunities. The area is a popular holiday spot for holidaymakers keen to enjoy the great outdoors.
Considered one of the last un-spoilt regions within New Zealand, Haast provides visitors with the chance to walk on untouched beaches and the opportunity to immerse ones self in the peace and tranquillity of this magical place.
The Haast township offers visitors a variety of accommodation to suit your requirements and budget, including hotels, motels, B&B’s and camping facilities.
The Haast township also has a supermarket, gift shops, locally made crafts and jewellery, petrol stations, restaurants, cafe’s and bars.
Highly recommended Haast tourist attractions include…
Scenic Helicopter Flight – Enjoy a scenic flight incorporating Milford Sound, Mt Aspiring, Mt Cook and the glaciers.
Waiatoto River Safari – New Zealand’s only sea to mountain jet boat safari adventure in a custom-built jet boat designed for remote wild rivers. Departing from the Haast Junction, enjoy a scenic drive to the Waiatoto River Bridge before enjoying a fabulous jet boat safari trip with plenty of photo opportunities.
Beach Comber Quads – Experience the fun and freedom of riding a Quad bike alongside the ocean waves on a beach ride steeped in pioneering history.
Guided Fly Fishing Trip – Test your skills and patience against the trout with the assistance of a local, experienced guide.
Bird Watching – Haast is a bird watcher’s paradise with plenty of opportunities to view Fantail, Tui, Bellbird, Pigeon, Silvereye, Grey Warbler, Parakeet, Falcon, Kaka, Kiwi and Morepork.
Jackson Bay Fishing Village – Enjoy spectacular views of the ocean and the Southern Alps, which are often painted pink by the setting sun. There are several good walks in the area, ranging from a 15-minute track to Jackson Viewpoint to a two-day hike inland that returns along the coast.
New Zealand Itineraries: South Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Greymouth, Greymouth – Fox Glacier, Franz Josef – Wanaka, Wanaka – Mt Cook and Mt Cook – Christchurch
- 5 Day Itinerary (route 2): Christchurch – Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs – St Arnuad, St Arnuad – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch
- 5 Day Itinerary (route 3): Christchurch – Mt Cook, Mt Cook – Queenstown, Queenstown – Dunedin, Dunedin – Oamaru and Oamaru – Christchurch
- 7 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin – Invercargill, Invercargill – Stewart Island, Stewart Island – Te-anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown and Queenstown – Christchurch
- 8 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Greymouth, Greymouth – Fox Glacier, Fox Glacier – Wanaka, Wanaka – Queenstown, Queenstown – Te Anau, Te Anau – Dunedin and Dunedin – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin, Dunedin – Invercragill, Invercargill – Te Anau, Te Anau Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown, Queenstown – Mt Cook, Mt Cook – Lake Tekapo and Lake Tekapo – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Christchurch – Omarama, Omarama – Dunedin, Dunedin, Dunedin – Te Anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Te Anau – Queenstown, Queenstown – Haast, Haast – Greymouth and Greymouth – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 3): Christchurch – Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs – Greymouth, Greymouth – Nelson, Nelson – Takaka, Takaka – Motueka, Motueka – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch
- 11 Day Itinerary: Christchurch – Dunedin, Dunedin – Te Anau, Te Anau – Milford Sound, Milford Sound – Queenstown, Queenstown – Wanaka, Wanaka – Franz Josef, Franz Josef – Greymouth, Greymouth – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim, Blenheim – Kaikoura and Kaikoura – Christchurch