New Zealand may be a small country but it has developed a big name as a popular international tourist destination. With good driving roads, top tourist spots easily accessible and an ever-changing display of breath-taking scenery, it is easy to understand why visitors enjoy touring around this beautiful country.
Situated in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean, New Zealand is a multi-cultural land boasting a diverse range of landscapes and climatic conditions extending throughout the North and South Islands, while Foveaux Strait separates Stewart Island from the bottom of the South Island.
Temperatures range from the warm sub-tropical areas of the ‘Far North’ to the cooler climates of the ‘Deep South’. With ski-ing in winter and water sports in summer, New Zealand is really an all-season holiday destination. From sparkling golden beaches, picturesque glaciers and tramper-friendly native rainforest, to world-class ski facilities, magical marine life, pristine tramping conditions, historical buildings, Maori culture and lush farmland, it is easy to see why New Zealand is renowned for our eco-tourism and pure, green outdoor image.
If you are considering a self-drive journey around this beautifully diverse country, New Zealand’s Information Network have compiled some awesome itineraries to assist you with your Kiwi travel plans.
Going to the South Island? Make sure you plan an unforgettable journey with our South Island Itineraries.
Our North Island itineraries range from shorter 5 day trips right up to the ultimate 11 Day North Island tour.
Showcasing a variety of main stream and ‘not so well known’ popular visitor attractions and activities, our travelling writers have provided the low down on what you should see and do not only during your stay in each city, but also things you should take the time to see or experience while you are travelling along the highways and back roads of the North Island.
Our range of North Island travel itineraries cover a diverse range of touring options, each includes information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
Traversing the entire North Island – we have it covered!
Many of the itineraries start in New Zealand’s biggest city, Auckland, and showcases some of the best North Island visual attractions and Maori culture, including visits to Rotorua, Taupo, Waitomo Caves, the beautiful Coromandel and coastal destinations such as Tauranga, Paihia and Whitiangia, as well as Whangarei, Napier, Dargaville, New Plymouth, Masterton, Gisborne and more.
If you would like a sneak of the South Island then the 8 day Itinerary is just for you! Starting in Wellington, enjoy time in the wine country of Masterton before heading across on the Ferry to Picton, Blenheim and Nelson in the upper South Island.
If you are planning a self-drive tour of the North Island our array of itineraries will help you plan the perfect North Island tour.
New Zealand Itineraries: North Island Suggested Itineraries
Our range of North Island Itineraries cover a diverse range of touring options, each includes information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua and Rotorua – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Dargaville, Dargaville – Kaitaia, Kaitaia – Paihia, Paihia – Whangarei and Whangarei – Auckland
- 7 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Napier and Napier – Wellington
- 8 Day Itinerary: Wellington, Wellington – Masterton, Masterton – Wellington, Wellington – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim and Blenheim – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier – Taupo, Taupo – Rotorua, Rotorua – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Whangarei, Whangarei – Paihia, Paihia – Hokianga, Hokianga – Auckland, Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 11 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier Taupo Napier, Napier – Wellington, Wellington – New Plymouth, New Plymouth – Waitomo and Waitomo Caves – Auckland