PAIHIA – HOKIANGA (via Kerikeri & Omapere)
Travel distance is approximately 122kms (76 miles).
Allow at least 2.5 hours drive time (not including stops).
Another day dawns and another delightful journey of discovery is about to commence as you ‘hit the road’ on route to Hokianga, via beautiful Kerikeri.
Some notable stops along the route to Hokianga include:
KERIKERI STONE STORE
Built in 1832, this is New Zealand’s oldest standing European stone building and is a fabulous example of stonemasonry. Originally built to house New Zealand mission supplies and large quantities of wheat from the mission farm at Te Waimate, the building was eventually used as a general store. Owned by the Historic Trust, the building has undergone extensive conservation work.
Located in Kerikeri, watch chocolate being hand-made using only the freshest, natural ingredients and purchase these high-quality chocolates or send as gifts.
The forest is located between Dargaville and Omapere (Hokianga) on SH12 which winds through magnificent stands of tall kauri, rimu and northern rata, and offers extensive views in a few places. The forest is home to the mighty Kauri tree and offers an extensive range of short walks and long tramps in this DOC area.
This is the gateway to the Hokianga and where you should base yourself for your overnight stay. As you descend down into Omapere make sure you stop and visit the Hokianga Information Centre and Museum which is located opposite the local Area School. There is a large selection of accommodation available here, including B&B’s, hotels and motels.
Highly recommended Omapere/Hokianga tourist attractions include…
Hokianga Harbour – From a swim in the warm clear waters to a leisurely walk along the waters edge to the more energetic activities such as kayaking or sand boarding, there is plenty for outdoor enthusiasts right here!
Footprints – Waipoua – This locally owned and operated experienced provides visitors with a wonderful opportunity to learn about the oldest and largest Kauri trees in the world! Choose from a selection of day and night programmes in the Waipoua forest.
Clendon House – This historic homestead is located in Rawene and was built in the 1860’s. The house is open for viewing, including the Clendon family collection.
Labyrinth Woodworks & Maze – Boasts a puzzle shop with over 500 puzzles, picnic area, maze and waterfall. A great family day out is to be had here.
Other fabulous attractions and activities include a boat cruise on the harbour, fishing charters, rock fishing, kayaking, surfing, diving, dolphin and whale watching, swimming and much more.
Hokianga has a wide range of accommodation to suit your budget and travel requirements for your overnight stay, ranging from Bed & Breakfast, farm stays, backpacker lodges, camping grounds and campervan parks to hotels and motels. There is also a good selection of cafes and eating establishments.
New Zealand Itineraries: North Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua and Rotorua – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Dargaville, Dargaville – Kaitaia, Kaitaia – Paihia, Paihia – Whangarei and Whangarei – Auckland
- 7 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Napier and Napier – Wellington
- 8 Day Itinerary: Wellington, Wellington – Masterton, Masterton – Wellington, Wellington – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim and Blenheim – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier – Taupo, Taupo – Rotorua, Rotorua – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Whangarei, Whangarei – Paihia, Paihia – Hokianga, Hokianga – Auckland, Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 11 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier Taupo Napier, Napier – Wellington, Wellington – New Plymouth, New Plymouth – Waitomo and Waitomo Caves – Auckland